Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veterans Day today. This first post is off topic but relative.

Wishing you were here. Wishing I knew what you went through, got a glimpse today watching Wings of Honor. http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/135040/wings-of-honor  This link is only a 3 minute video. The full show was specific to Navy in the South Pacific and shocking. This was the episode


War Stories: Season 1, Episode 7

Wings of Honor (Jan. 2011)

TV Episode  - 
I continue the honor for our freedom. Sadly, against our own government.

To my Dad, WWII Navy, South Pacific.


To my Mom, WWII Rosie The Riveter, Welder at Brooklyn NY Shipyard.  Helen Ryan (yet to meet my Dad years later in a Miami bar. ) 2nd from the right. Stunning and Irish tough. Taken on 10/1/1943 @ 24 years old.


They would marry, he was a captain for the rich and famous- Lana Turner, Arthur Godfrey and Captain, of the first 52 ft planing cruiser, only one of its type afloat at launch. The Steloras was built by the Huckins firm, Jacksonville, Fl. Launched Jan. 15,1953 carrying owner Tom Roshek of Roshek Bros. department store Dubuque, Ia, his wife Betty, his son Tommy, Mrs. F. E. Bissel, Mrs. W. N. Ziepprecht and Captain Clyde Allen. Journal Staff Writer C. Verne Bloch " The world's first and only. Embodying many unique features never before employed in construction of similar type craft."  JB Turner, President of Front Street Shipyard, Belfast, knows the boat. It is sad that we are pitted against each other by Belfast City Hall.

The Steloras at a pit stop after 7500 nautical miles by Captain Clyde Allen at Army Corp of Engineers, Peoria, Il. April 1953. Maiden journey from Jacksonville Fl. to Dubuque, Ia.


Here's Dad on his Step Dad's (Captain Jess O'Hyden- wearing the captains hat) boat.
Come on, how did Dad bring it? He is beat up for sure in his wing tips.


 After that career and downfall through alcohol, he quit cold turkey, became the president of AA, Mom taught him to weld, and opened up Brunswick Railings in a car garage with a coffee can for a bathroom, in New Brunswick, NJ, 1962. Soon civil riots were burning down the city. We think his shop survived because he had hired a black man to help him. Later, he would move it to South River. Business was booming, then cancer wiped him and us out in 1976. No insurance, no savings, sweet 16 not sweet at all. By 17, I was working full time in a muffler warehouse, Midas International, North Brunswick NJ. Summers in Bayside, Maine were over but never my dream to live here. Despicable real estate agents and Belfast City Hall ruthlessly ruin lives and try to silence me. For 4 years, I refuse to cower against enormous law breaking and intimidating white collar thugs. Many tell me how brave I am. There is no choice when your rights and home are under a terror attack. No help for me.

Here I am, fighting for my rights and home. Back drop is the Penobscot Bay, final resting waters for my Dad, Mom and Sister. My Memorial Home. Thank You Honorable Veterans. Picture taken @ 2014 Arts in the Park festival. I had my art spread out on the out skirts. Chamber of Commerce are not fans of mine for sure. http://belfastbayinn.com/mainehotel/our-blog/performing-arts/belfast-arts-in-the-park-2013/

PS- To those that think they can break me- my great, great grandmother is Ann Foster Melton of Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley. Tom Dula hung for the murder of Ann's cousin, Laura Foster. A love triangle where many believe Ann was the one.  My cousin's book says it was Tom. Both are guilty. Sleep with one eye open. KIDDING- don't call me into the pokey for another interrogation again.

The song is not accurate- Mr. Grayson was a colonel that Tom worked for.

Just found this post on FB:
Reply
 · 

There is a Tom Dooley outdoor play in Wilkesboro N.C. each July. This is where it took place in 1866. My wife and I watched it yesterday and it is outstanding. It brings a legendary song to life. Also, bluegrass legend Doc Watson, who is from the area, said his great grandmother knew Ann Foster and on her deathbed she admitted to killing Laura Foster.

1958 The Kingston Trio singing "Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley"

Grammy Award-winning and #1 hit folk-song of The Kingston Trio: Tom Dooley!
Throughout history There've been many songs written about the eternal triangle
This next one tells the story of a Mr Grayson, a beautiful woman.And a condemned man named Tom Dooley...
When the sun rises tomorrow, Tom Dooley... must hang...
Hang down your head, Tom Dooley
Hang down your head and cry
Hang down your head, Tom Dooley
Poor boy, you're bound to die
I met her on the mountain
 


No comments:

Post a Comment